Monday, May 11, 2009

Everyday Miracles

Around 5 or 6 years ago I watched "Signs," a Mel Gibson movie which made me re-think the existence of coincidence, or things which occur "by chance." Since then, my worldview has more and more solidified into the belief that there is no such thing. This occurred during the growth of the "intelligent design" movement in U.S. education, which came to the public noteably via Ben Stein's movie, "Expelled," and to me in the "Truth Project." The deeper my relationship with God grows, and the more I ponder, the more I realize God's hand in everything, in all of creation: His creation. He can no more adopt a laissez-faire attitude than can parents ignore their children's pleas for help. At times you let them learn hard knocks but, when they come back, your arms enfold them again. God always wants to be in good relation with us.

In other attributes we enjoy, like humor and creativity, God shows through. This is what I think about most when I recognize what some would say is a coincidence. God taps on my shoulder and says, "Hey, it's Me! Got yer back! Don't forget!" God, acting through daily events and in our imagination, as we recognize interrelated occurences in our lives, which are designed to bring us closer to Him and each other...these are miracles. And what do you know, but this exact same lesson sings through the theme of the below referred book, "The Shack." Is it a perfect display of doctrinal Truth? Probably not. And I doubt the author would suggest that. However there's plenty of goodness going on in that novel, such as this quotation with which I'll conclude, by Elizabeth Barrett Browning:

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God,
But only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

No comments: